5 Rules in Managing Your Senior’s Medications
Is your loved one taking multiple pills a day? It is easy to get used to the idea of seniors popping pills every day. Little do we know that polypharmacy (the term coined for taking several medicines a day) is a deadly health hazard.
Here are some medication management tips to ensure your senior’s safety from their prescriptions. These health hacks can be applied to you, too!
Always take the following steps:
- Ask if the dosage is age-appropriate. Older adults have a tricky metabolism. Their bodies may not respond or react violently to the drugs they’re taking. This results in an increased risk of side effects and adverse consequences. Ask their doctor or pharmacist if the dosage is right.
- Explore second opinions and other good alternatives. When it comes to polypharmacy, always remember: the lesser the drugs, the better. There are health practitioners who would prescribe drugs inappropriately. See if the condition can be relieved by a healthy lifestyle or synergic drugs to keep your loved one from clinging to multiple pills a day.
- Keep a medication list. Take a moment to recall all of your senior’s medications, from several years ago up until today. We’re talking about every possible medical concoction – over the counter drugs, prescription medicines, herbal supplements, vitamins, injected drugs, and other therapeutic preparations. Bring this list with you when you visit the doctor or a retail pharmacy in Orlando, Florida. This can help health practitioners identify potential medication adverse reactions and other health threats. Don’t forget to keep this list updated!
- Monitor their medication compliance. If you are caring for a beloved with cognitive conditions like dementia or Alzheimer’s, closely monitor their medication compliance. These individuals are prone to forgetting their medicine or skipping doses. Your supervision can help ensure they are taking their pills as prescribed.
- Consult a pharmacist. Who can help you better on your medication problems than your favorite specialists? Know more about your loved one’s medications and other foolproof ways to manage their drugs by consulting a pharmacist.
What worries you about your prescriptions? Do you have difficulties in managing your medications? Don’t hesitate to seek help. Orlando Pharmacy has a team of licensed pharmacists who are willing to help you. As a specialty pharmacy in Florida, we offer medical supplies and consultation services suited to your needs.
What medication management tip works best for you and your loved ones? Comment down below.
Like what you’ve read? Go ahead and share this post. Find more health tips and advice by visiting our website at www.orlandopharmacy.net.